Satisfactory Academic Progress

All University of Miami graduate and doctoral students receiving financial aid through federal aid sources, including the Federal Direct PLUS Loan must maintain at least a minimum cumulative GPA and credit hour completion rate to receive financial assistance. Failure to meet these satisfactory academic progress requirements may result in the cancellation/non-renewal of aid awarded.

Policies and Procedures

For the purposes of these policies, academic year is defined as Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. 

1. Review and Notification

In order to determine continued aid eligibility, the Office of Financial Assistance Services will review the academic progress at the end of each academic semester for all graduate students receiving federal aid, including the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.

Students who fail to meet SAP will be notified in writing by email. If a student is placed on academic probation they will be eligible for financial aid during that probationary period. A student may receive probationary scholarship assistance only once.

2. SAP Appeal

A student may appeal a SAP determination that results in loss of aid by completing and submitting to the financial aid office an Academics Progress Appeal Form. Appeals may be granted only if the student failed to meet academic progress requirements as a result of an emergency and/or illness, and these circumstances must have occurred within the semester/academic year during which SAP requirements were not met. All appeals should be submitted no later than 30 calendar days from notice of ineligibility. All decisions made by the committee are final. 

3. Reinstatement of Aid

Reinstatement of aid may be obtained by earning additional University approved credits, achieving the indicated percent completion standard, or successfully appealing.

4. Duration of Eligibility

All work must be completed within six years of the time of admission to a graduate program, for those studying for the various master’s degrees; and within eight years for those studying for doctoral degrees. For those admitted directly into a Ph.D. program without a master’s degree in field, work must be completed within eight years. Individual programs may set a shorter time period.

Graduate students may receive federally funded assistance for the time to completion limits set up by the Graduate School

– six (6) years for those studying for the various master’s degrees and 8 years for those studying for doctoral degrees. Students pursuing dual master’s degrees will receive aid for a maximum of six (6) years. Students in a combined master’s degree/doctoral degree program are eligible for assistance for a maximum of eight (8) years.